Skip to main content


Erosion & Sediment Control and Steep Slope Protection


  • Good Forestry in the Granite State: Recommended Voluntary Forest Management Practices for New Hampshire
    This guide provides landowners and the professionals who work with them practical recommendations and information on a wide variety of forest resources. First published in 1997, the Good Forestry revision started in 2008 and was completed with the publication of this second edition in 2010. It includes the many changes in practice and knowledge that occurred in the ten-plus years since it was first published. This revision was guided by a 24-member steering committee and involved much public input.
  • Forest Products Road Manual: A Handbook for Municipal Officials and the Forest Products Industry
    This manual is a guide for both municipal officials and the forest products industry to improve everyone's understanding of the laws that govern public roadways. It highlights information and contacts, but it also intended to provide an understanding that will allow all involved to build trust and avoid conflicts or issues. To request a hard copy of the manual, contact UNH Cooperative Extension's Forestry Information Center at (800) 444-8978. There is a $2 fee to cover mailing costs. Please contact Andrew Fast with questions.
  • Forest and Trees, UNH Cooperative Extension
  • Guide to New Hampshire Timber Harvesting Laws - University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension
  • RSA 231:40-42 provides a process whereby a landowner who wants to remove "lumber, wood or other material" may petition the selectmen to lay out a right of way for that purpose over someone else's land. The right of way can be created for a fixed length of time and made subject to other conditions.
  • New Hampshire Timber Tax Law (RSA 79)
  • Municipal and Property Division Timber Tax page

Habitat Management

Invasive Plant Species


Nonpoint Source Pollution

Town Forests

  • Town forests may be established by action of the local legislative body pursuant to RSA 31:110. The town forest is to be managed by a town forest committee, which can be the conservation commission if the local legislative body so determines - if it has not, then there must be a separate committee. [RSA 31:112]
  • Revenue from the town forest goes to a special forest maintenance fund, which shall be non-lapsing (unless the local legislative body decides otherwise.) [RSA 31:113] The statutes do not state that the forest committee (or conservation commission) have any direct control over the forest maintenance fund, so any appropriations from it require the authorization of the local legislative body. Once such appropriations are made, the forest committee has the authority to expend such appropriated funds for the purpose for which they were appropriated.

Wastewater Engineering/Septic Systems

  • See the Wastewater Engineering/Septic Systems subject heading on the Water Resources page