Skip to main content

Property Owner, Renter, and Business Information

Information for property owners, renters, and businesses regarding how to determine your property’s flood risk, lender flood insurance requirements, buying and developing in a floodplain area, and flood insurance.

How to determine the flood risk for a property or structure:

Floodplain Maps and Studies

Things you can do to reduce flood risk to your home:

What to know about flood insurance:

Everyone lives in a flood zone. You can protect your home, business, and belongings with flood insurance from the NFIP. Flood insurance is necessary because homeowners insurance does not cover flood losses.

What to know when your lender determines your structure/property is in the floodplain and what options you have:

Anyone who applies for a federally-funded mortgage/loan or refinancing on an existing home in flood-prone areas will be required to carry flood insurance for the life of the mortgage/loan. Generally, the only documentation that lenders will accept to change their floodplain determination is a FEMA Letter of Map Amendment. For more information, see the links below.

What to know about developing in a floodplain:

If a community participates in the NFIP, the community has adopted at least the minimum NFIP standards into the community's floodplain regulations. Some communities adopt stricter floodplain regulations. For more information, see the links below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Education and Training: